Monday, March 7, 2011

Character


A man shapes pottery as it turns on a wheel
Native American Pottery

Creating a vessel from clay is an ancient art. Since the beginning potters have come out with some priceless vessels that have withstood the test of time. Each step in the overall pottery process is an art in itself, the glazing process, firing techniques, preparing the clay and shaping process. Now you must be wondering why I am talking about art of pottery making? Character is similar to this process. It is how we mould our self to become perfect.


It has been said that CHARACTER is the foundation for all true success. A person may have money, position, or power, but unless he has "good" character he or she is not considered to be truly successful.

So, in the full knowledge that there may be other just as valid lists of character traits, I am presenting below one list that has been very helpful to me.

List of Character Traits


1. Alertness - Being aware of what is taking place around me so I can have the right responses.

2. Attentiveness - Showing the worth of a person or task by giving my undivided concentration. 

3. Availability - Making my own schedule and priorities secondary to the wishes of those I serve. 

4. Benevolence - Giving to others basic needs without having as my motive personal reward. 

5. Boldness - Confidence that what I have to say or do is true, right, and just. 

6. Cautiousness - Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions. 

7. Compassion - Investing whatever is necessary to heal the hurts of others. 

8. Contentment - Realizing that true happiness does not depend on material conditions. 

9. Creativity - Approaching a need, a task, or an idea from a new perspective. 

10. Decisiveness - The ability to recognize key factors and finalize difficult decisions. 

11. Determination - Purposing to accomplish right goals at the right time, regardless of the opposition. 

12. Diligence - Investing my time and energy to complete each task assigned to me. 

13. Discernment - Understanding the deeper reasons why things happen. 

14. Discretion - Recognizing and avoiding words, actions, and attitudes that could bring undesirable consequences. 

15. Endurance - The inward strength to withstand stress and do my best. 

16. Enthusiasm - Expressing joy in each task as I give it my best effort. 

17. Faith - Confidence that actions rooted in good character will yield the best outcome, even when I cannot see how. 

18. Flexibility - Willingness to change plans or ideas when necessary.

19. Forgiveness - Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge. Letting go.

20. Generosity - Carefully managing my resources so I can freely give to those in need. 

21. Gentleness - Showing consideration and personal concern for others. 

22. Gratefulness - Letting others know by my words and actions how they have benefited my life. 

23. Honor - Respecting each other 

24. Hospitality - Cheerfully sharing food, shelter, or conversation to benefit others. 

25. Humility - Acknowledging that achievement results from the investment of others in my life. 

26. Initiative - Recognizing and doing what needs to be done before I am asked to do it. 

27. Joyfulness - Maintaining a good attitude, even when faced with unpleasant conditions. 

28. Justice - Taking personal responsibility to uphold what is pure, right, and true. 

29. Loyalty - Using difficult times to demonstrate my commitment to those I serve. 

30. Meekness - Yielding my personal rights and expectations with a desire to serve. 

31. Obedience - Quickly and cheerfully carrying out the direction of those who are responsible for me. 

32. Orderliness - Arranging myself and my surroundings to achieve greater efficiency. 

33. Patience - Accepting a difficult situation without giving a deadline to remove it. 

34. Persuasiveness - Guiding vital truths around another's mental roadblocks. 

35. Punctuality - Showing esteem for others by doing the right thing at the right time. 

36. Resourcefulness - Finding practical uses for that which others would overlook or discard. 

37. Responsibility - Knowing and doing what is expected of me. 

38. Security - Structuring my life around that which cannot be destroyed or taken away. 

39. Self-Control - Rejecting wrong desires and doing what is right. 

40. Sensitivity - Perceiving the true attitudes and emotions of those around me. 

41. Sincerity - Eagerness to do what is right with transparent motives. 

42. Thoroughness - Knowing what factors will diminish the effectiveness of my work or words if neglected. 

43. Thriftiness - Allowing myself to spend only what is necessary. 

44. Tolerance - Realizing that everyone is at varying levels of character development. 

45. Truthfulness – Walking on the path of truth. 

46. Virtue - The moral excellence evident in my life as I consistently do what is right. 

47. Wisdom - Seeing and responding to life situations from a perspective that transcends my current circumstances.

Authored by GANDHARV



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Character is what we are when no one is watching. This, as you have said, is truly the most important, more important than riches and any other success. Your exhaustive list will help in shaping our character.